Circle Up is a system of communications and adaptive learning featuring three activities:
- 1) Briefings (huddles) at the beginning of shifts, days, and activities
- 2) Dynamic supportive conversations among colleagues
- 3) Debriefings (huddles) near the end of shifts, days, and complex care episodes
CMS helps your organization to structure and integrate Circle Up activities. We first model (co-lead) activities and then train and empower you and your team to independently lead activities.
Circle Up briefings promote clarity of purpose and action to support both operational excellence and the well-being of the workforce.
- Skillfully introduce and encourage questions and concerns
- Update on process and protocol
- Mental rehearsals of new routines
- Reflective Q&A
- Update on well-being features and adaptations
- Remind team to use Talk2Support
- Invite to debriefing at end of day, shift or care episode
Check-in with colleagues while @work.
- Notice colleagues in need
- Check-in with all team members
- Affirm and appreciate contributions
- Listen and offer support
Circle Up debriefings promote positive-minded sharing and adaptation around challenges and successes related to the work of the day, shift or care episode.
- Skillfully introduce the activity
- Encourage sharing of experiences, questions, and concerns
- Affirm contributions to wellness of patients or co-workers
- Facilitate collection of successes and challenges
- Organize and supportive exploration of root causes to challenges
- Facilitate development (or initiation) of solutions and adaptations
- Offer uplifting summaries and action plans
To find out more about how you can implement this program in your organization, please contact:
Chris Roussin, PhD
Mary Fey, PhD, RN
Circle Up for COVID-19 Online Webinar
This webinar will introduce a system for communication that supports both staff resilience and sustainable excellence in care delivery.
* Talk2Support is a joint project between CMS and The Debriefing Academy.